Baseball Ontario is committed to developing, maintaining, and supporting a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Equity is the belief and practice of treating persons in ways that are fair, equitable, and just. Baseball Ontario is an inclusive organization and welcomes full participation of all individuals in our programs and activities, irrespective of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, or disability.
Equity does not necessarily mean that all persons must be treated exactly the same. People may need to be treated differently in order to be treated fairly. Baseball Ontario will take a leadership position by making a clear commitment to full and equitable participation at all levels of the organization.
Baseball Ontario will ensure that equity, diversity, and inclusion are key considerations when developing, updating, or delivering Baseball Ontario policies and programs.
Baseball Ontario supports and advocates for the rights of all participants including, but not limited to women, Black, Indigenous and People of Colour, members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities to participate in the game of baseball with respect, dignity, and equity.
· Players may compete on any team that corresponds with either their gender assigned at birth, or their gender identity.
· Baseball Ontario will not solicit or accept sponsorship or partnerships from companies which discriminate against any minority group.
· To provide a safe, equitable, fair, and responsible environment for all participants, Baseball Ontario prohibits the use of racially or culturally insensitive mascots, imagery, team names, and iconography, including but not limited to the use of Indigenous mascots. This applies to all levels of the organization (including Affiliated Associations, Local Associations, and teams).
· Any use of language or actions is prohibited if such language or action denigrates or could reasonably be perceived to denigrate a person or group of people based on:
o Ethnicity, colour, or origin (including the use of racial slurs, jokes, and actions that ridicule a particular race or ethnicity).
o Sexual Orientation (including the use of anti-2SLGBTQ+ slurs, jokes, and actions that ridicule a person based on actual or perceived sexuality).
o Gender or gender identity.
o Mental or physical disability.
· Discrimination and prejudiced actions against any participant based on ethnicity, colour, origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, family status, or disability is prohibited.
1. The Executive shall consider Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion when setting policies and in conducting oversight of operations.
2. The Executive shall consider Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion when reviewing existing programs and policies and when creating new programs and policies.
3. The HR Committee shall consider Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion when making staff hiring decisions and when conducting staff reviews.
4. The President and each Commissioner shall consider Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion when making appointments to the various boards and councils.
5. The Executive shall actively pursue opportunities to educate Baseball Ontario members, including staff, athletes, coaches, umpires, and volunteers on the importance of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion to Baseball Ontario.
6. The Executive shall ensure that the organization makes best efforts to develop operational procedures and rules which are equitable, and support diversity and inclusion.
7. The Executive shall ensure that the organization makes any reasonable efforts to accommodate persons with disabilities in their participation with baseball within the limits of safety for all participants.
8. The Executive shall ensure that all instances of alleged discrimination are investigated and dealt with in a manner that respects Baseball Ontario’s fundamental belief in Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.
9. Each member of the Executive individually has a responsibility to use their best efforts to ensure that the Executive is complying with its responsibilities in this Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Policy.